Sunday, October 22, 2017

Chapter 15 Scans for the Ages


From RadiologyInfo.org for patients.



"PET/CTScans
Positron emission tomography with computed tomography (PET/CT) uses small amounts of radioactive materials called radiotracers, a special camera and a computer to help evaluate your organ and tissue functions. By identifying body changes at the cellular level, PET may detect the early onset of disease before it is evident on other imaging tests"

"MRI Scans

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) uses a large magnet and radio waves to look at organs and structures inside your body. Health care professionals use MRI scans to diagnose a variety of conditions, from torn ligaments to tumors. MRIs are very useful for examining the brain and spinal cord."
During the scan, you lie on a table that slides inside a tunnel-shaped machine. Doing the scan can take a long time, and you must stay still. The scan is painless. The MRI machine makes a lot of noise. The technician may offer you earplugs."

October should be renamed to Scantober as far as I'm concerned.  Between the last week of September and the first two weeks of October, I had an MRI on my spine, another on my pelvis, another on my sacrum and finally one on my brain.  Additionally, I had a PET/CT scan so that we would be sure we had the full picture before determining how to proceed.  I spent as much time lying on my back in a tube during this time as I did in my crib as a baby; or at least it seems that way!
The results were, well, pretty much miraculous.  All the tests came back with no signs of any living cancer cells anywhere.  I'll pause so ya'll can let that sink in.  Zero living cancer cells.  It doesn't mean I'm cured, as there currently is no such thing as a cure for my kind of cancer.  It just means the meds in my clinical trial have addressed the cancer exactly as the doctors had hoped when they were fighting so much with my insurance company to get me enrolled in that. I'm buying time and quality of life by participating in the Alecensa trial.  The drug has outperformed all expectations; they had hoped to slow the growth of the cancer but I don't think anyone anticipated a result as dynamic as this one.  
So, what does this mean?  Well, it means I can continue to live a relatively normal life.  I still tire very easily, which is a side effect of the meds,  and my back pain is very severe.  I walk with a cane, but at least I can walk.  Dr. W will see if she can do any additional cyberknife to alleviate that pain.  If so, wonderful; if not, still wonderful.  
We will do routine scans to monitor the beast that is hiding inside of me, and maintain the current dosage of the medicine as long as it remains effective. 
I guess I could chalk this up to the miraculous nature of clinical studies or the power of modern medicine.  I've been fighting the battle for nearly 13th months after initially being given a 6 months prognosis.  I'm not giving science all the credit for that.  I'm listing the human factor as the biggest contributor to my good fortune.  My support group has been amazing and includes too many people for me to list here.

I want to give a special shout out to Connie, who is my rock and pillar of support.  If it wasn't for her, I would have never been able to fight as hard as I have.

My family has been amazing as has hers.  I believe in the power of prayer now more than ever. My mom basically left her life in Ohio to come and help me get better.  

When I say my family, that especially includes the big family at InfoTech.  They are the best company in the world.

Old classmates and co-workers from ODOT have been following my blog and keeping in touch with their wishes and prayers.

I need to pay tribute to a good friend/family member who passed away unexpectedly on October 13; Robert Peter Lee (Robby).  Robby was a pillar in the community of the small town in Ohio where I grew up.  I can't help thinking that Robby might have pulled some strings with "the man" for me.

Thank you all for your support, prayers and well wishes.  I feel so blessed and extremely lucky to have such an extensive family to support me.  God bless you all.

RIP, Robby.




5 comments:

  1. Best news of the year, hands down! Can't wait until you're back at the office, we miss your spark! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot find the words to express how happy this amazing news is! You are an inspiration to us all.
    Prayers that the doctors can now address your back pain and that that under control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If *I* teared up reading zero living cancer cells, I can only imagine what it must have been like to hear it. Hooray to your doctor for calling the drug rep and for the drug rep to talk to your insurance. I'm so thrilled for you, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear this news. Thinking of you and this courageous journey. I am amazed you managed to keep your witty sense of humor throughout and appreciate you sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is WOW! Such wonderful news it brought tears to my eyes. Prayers do get answered. 🖖

    ReplyDelete