Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Chapter 13: Snail Mail & Blogs

Chapter 13: Snail Mail & Blogs

I know you InfoTechers will be astounded by this, so I'll  speak the words v-e-w-y, v-e-w-y s-l-o-w-l-y.


There are people in this life that DON'T own a computer.  Most of these people also do not own a cell phone and those that fall in between own something that isn't smart but is very gymnastic (i.e., it can do a flip).  They still rely on land lines and the US Postal Service. So, I want to give a shout out to my favorite snail mail followers.
                   
Meet Ed and Betty.  I'm not going to put their full names into into this blog, because invariably it will invite some nefarious actions from unscrupulous people.  In other words, someone may try to scam them.

I've known Ed and Betty for many, many years.  They are grandparents to some of my best friends and great grandparents to even more.  When Connie and I flew north for the wedding in May, they sat in the pew in front of us.  They are just a darling couple in their mid 90's.

Later at the reception,  we were seated at the same table as Ed.  Betty wasn't able to make the trip to the reception, which was kind of in a barn in the middle of nowhere.  Ed made a specific point to get up from his seat and come over so that he and I could chat.  He was very interested in my condition and kept telling me they would pray for me.  I committed to sending him paper versions of my blog posts and any random pictures I would run across (I have like a bajillion digital pictures and a 4x6 photo printer that works pretty darn good).

Well, sometime last week Connie got a phone call from her niece who was visiting her grandparents Ed and Betty, and also had her kids along.  Ed asked to speak to me, and I was flabbergasted at what he said.  He apologized to ME for not doing a better job of communicating.  This loving man who is in his golden years, not terribly mobile but still moving around was apologizing for lack of communication.  He told me that I was very good with words, and he knew the words and their meanings, but didn't have the ability to put them together the way I could.  I thanked him but told him any communication I got from them I cherished.  I told him that I had not been very expedient in posting during the month of July because it frankly was not a good month, and I had suffered a lot of pain and discomfort and anxiety during the month.  He said he was afraid that may have been the issue.

When the phone call was nearly concluded he asked if they could sing a song for me and I said "absolutely" and put my phone on speaker.  I couldn't figure out how to record the audio, but there are versions of these songs being sung by them at many weddings.  The lyrics are:


May God's grace go before you
May His love enfold you
May His mighty arms uphold you, protect you
Til we meet again, go with God

70th Wedding Anniversary Photo


And the final tune was:


May God bless you with His love
Always fill you with His love 
May He hold you in the hollow of His hand
For the Lord is with you in goodness and love 
May His light shine out in your heart



I hope this encourages someone out there to "pay it forward".  Do something nice for someone, maybe someone you don't know or do something anonymously for someone that you do know that has a need.  Meanwhile, you can thank Ed and Betty for the blog post.  They are very inspirational.















1 comment:

  1. This really had me reaching for the tissue box! It helps to restore my faith in mankind, that there are good, kind, caring people out there.

    ReplyDelete