Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Chapter 03: Buckeyes

Buckeyes - Nothing but worthless nuts, right?

I'm going to take a moment to interrupt my regularly scheduled posting to post this public service announcement.  I find I'm having a hard time writing about the beginning stages of my battle; it's going but it's going slowly.  So I want to discuss something very real and something we all need to take seriously.  It's the buckeye.

Many people believe it is a worthless nut.  You can't eat it, you can only collect so many before you are overrun with the quarter sized round nuts.  You can drill holes in them and use them to construct all sorts of obnoxious and gaudy jewelry (I have some extra necklaces if anyone wants one).  I'm only going to attempt to debunk one of these points.

A buckeye is not a worthless nut.  According to folklore, the Wyandotte Indians considered the buckeye to be a symbol of great fortune and continuous luck.  I firmly believe that is the case and actually have many buckeyes in various locations in my house. I decided, along with Carmen's help, that every Info Tech employee in the Gainesville office needs a buckeye to carry with them when we move from the Farm Bureau to the shiny new facility at Celebration Pointe.   I believe that if we all believe it will bring the company good fortune, than we can continue our success into the future and sustain the wave of good fortune that seems always present for Info Tech.

So my message to all of you is to to get a buckeye and carry it in your pocket.  For you Info Tech employees in the Gainesville office, my message is a much simpler one.  When you leave the Farm Bureau for what will ultimately be your last time in that building, don't forget to grab your worthless nuts on the way out the door. Our survival depends on it.



4 comments:

  1. I already have one (thanks to Jim) and I keep it with me at my desk at all times - well, now it's home until we get the all clear to bring our stuff back. It was a little too lumpy to put in my back pocket ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is in my wallet. Even if I met up with a Wyandotte native (not too likely), I wouldn't trade it for the world. But I must admit, those peanut butter and chocolate Buckeyes are very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was gonna say - A buckeye can't be a worthless nut if it inspired that dessert!
    I will totally carry one around with me. Unless it's the dessert. Then I'll eat it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto Tina and Monelle...got mine from Jim and been in my wallet ever since. :-). Looking forward to having those delish chocolate PB baileys buckeyes again.

    ReplyDelete